Explainer - How do I complain about a financial services firm?

ComplaintsIf you have a complaint about a financial services firm, you should first discuss your complaint with the firm itself -  be it a bank, an insurance firm, broker or an investment company.

Under the Central Bank’s Consumer Protection Code, all regulated financial services firms must have a complaints handling procedure in place.

If, after following the firm’s complaints process, you are still not satisfied with the response, you have the right to refer the complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman (FSO), a statutory independent body that mediates unresolved disputes/complaints.

It is important to note that if your complaint is about any person responsible for managing your employer pension scheme or Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA), it should be directed to the Pensions Ombudsman.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) aims to make markets work better for consumers and businesses. Read its step-by-step guide on how to make a complaint to a financial services provider.

While the Central Bank does not investigate individual consumer complaints, we appreciate and welcome contact from consumers of financial products. See our contact page.